+
You are here:Suburb Profiles

Suburb Profiles

Quakers Hill

Quakers Hill

Quakers Hill as we now know it consisted in the 1800s of four major land grants; 2000 acres to Major West, 400 acres to William Henry Allcock, 695 acres to Joseph Pye; 695 acres Robert Campbell.

The railway line was extended from blacktown to richmond in 1863, passing through the pye property. The area began to be subdivided in the early 1900s. During World War ll the government resumed much of Pye's property for an aerodrome, which was firstly used by the British Navy Air Arm then after the war an Australian Navy training base (HMAS Nirimba). This base closed and the area was turned over to the Education department, with The Nirimba Education Precinct opening in 1995. It consists of both public & private secondary schools and campuses of both Western Sydney TAFE and the University of Western Sydney.

The origin of the name Quakers Hill is debatable. It is first mentioned in a surveyor's report in 1806 and could refer to the sound made by numerous wood-ducks that were in the area. There were Quakers among the settlers in the area later in the century.
Schofields

Schofields

The name Schofields comes from John Schofields (1803 - 1884) who was a convict from Manchester who arrived on the Minerva in December 1821. He Married Bridget Harley daughter of an immigrant farmer of Baulkham Hills. He acquired 600 acres east of Eastern Creek in present-day Schofields in 1845. Schofields Railway Station opened in 1870. In 2011 the station was moved to a new position 800 metres closer to Quakers Hill than the original station.
Acacia Gardens

Acacia Gardens

Acacia Gardens was formerly a part of Quakers Hill. The name was chosen to reflect the rural quality of the suburb, with acacia trees being prevalent in the area. Many of the streets in the suburb are named after flowers. It was formally recognised as a suburb in 1996.
The Ponds

The Ponds

'The Ponds' was a name designed to reflect the geography of the area and was derived from the nearby creek called "Second Ponds Creek". The Ponds was officially designated as a separate suburb in January 2007. The Ponds had previously been part of the suburbs of Kellyville and Kellyville Ridge
Glenwood

Glenwood

Glenwood takes its name from an historic property in the area, named 'Glenwood Park' in the 1940s, but previously known as Norfolk Vale (1846-1882), and Sorrento (1882-1941). It was formally recognised as a suburb in 1996.
Stanhope Gardens

Stanhope Gardens

John Hillas (1768–1837) arrived in Australia in 1801 and received two land grants (in 1801 and 1804) on the Windsor Road. The second of these, of 150 acres, he named "Stanhope Farm". He established an inn, the "Stanhope Arms" on Windsor Road to cater for the traffic between the Macquarie Towns and Paramatta.

By 1856 the Pearce family owned "Stanhope Farm". In 1928 Jack Peel bought "Stanhope Farm" and called it "Stanhope Park Dairy".

In 1973 the New South Wales Housing Commission compulsorily resumed Stanhope Park Dairy.

The suburb name reflects these early properties. Stanhope Gardens Estate opened in 1995 and was formally recognised as a suburb in 1996.[1]

When Stanhope Gardens was first being developed into what it is today, it was called "Irish Town", Kellyville and Parklea. A petition was sent around with most people voting to keep Stanhope in the name, becoming Stanhope Gardens.
Parklea

Parklea

The name dates from the 1880s when the property known as Parklea was subdivided. It had developed into a small village by the 1920s. The suburb was named by the subdividers in the early 1900s and is well known for the major Sydney landmark of Parklea Markets.
Kellyville Ridge

Kellyville Ridge

The suburb takes its name from the ridge, the only geographical feature of any vertical significance in the northern part of the area, that runs through the suburb. Kellyville Ridge is thought to be the area where the Castle Hill Rebellion (also known as the Second Battle of Vinegar Hill) took place, many roads and reserves are named after it in Kellyville and a memorial was placed in Castlebrook Lawn Cemetery in 1988. Kellyville Ridge became a separate suburb when the area west of Windsor Road was renamed in 2002.
Marayong

Marayong

In 1802 the government declared most of the area we know as Blacktown to be a farm and grazing area. It was not until 1819 that the land around today's Marayong was given to private citizens. The next development was in 1864 when the railway line from Blacktown to Richmond was opened. From 1903 to 1906 land between Marayong and Quakers Hill began to be subdivided and sold. Instead of cattle grazing in the paddocks, small poultry farms, market gardens and wheat farms were established. The railway then became very important because farmers could get their stock or produce to market quickly and easily.On October 2nd, 1922 Marayong Railway station was officially opened and in 1926 the peopleof Marayong voted to become a separate suburb to Quakers Hill.
Laing+Simmons Beyond the Expected
Follow us:
© Copyright Laing+Simmons 2013 | Home |  Contact Us |  Jobs @ L+S |  Find An Agent |  Franchise Opportunity |  Privacy |  Agent Admin |  Terms of Use